Town Clerk - Welcome
Town Clerk - Welcome
Hon. Sundy A. Schermeyer, Town Clerk
116 Hampton Road
Phone: (631) 287 - 5740
Fax: (631) 283 - 5606
Hampton Bays Annex
25 Ponquogue Ave, Hampton Bays
Phone: (631) 723 - 2712
Fax: (631) 723-3080
Office Hours: 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Tues & Thurs
Please use the map below to view directions from Town Hall in Southampton to the Town Clerk's office Hampton Bays Annex
View Larger Map
The Office of the Town Clerk is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since Biblical times. While Town Clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by State and Town Law, but many more go well beyond those mandates as Town Clerks also serve as a major source of information to all.
The Town Clerk serves as:
- Records Management Officer: Custodian of all Town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records and the careful maintenance of archival material. Administrator of the Freedom of Information Law which guarantees your right to know the workings of government. Applications & Forms page
- Registrar of Vital Statistics: Records of all marriage applications and births and deaths occurring within the Town of Southampton are maintained accurately and confidentially. Birth Certificates are mailed to the parents upon the child's birth and copies are available upon request. Those births and deaths which occur in Southampton Hospital must be requested from the Village Clerk at (631) 283-0247. Burial Permits are required for burial and cremation and transcripts are provided when necessary
- Filing Officer: Maintains records of adopted Town Ordinances and Local Laws, Town Oaths of Office, signations, petitions, proof of publications, annual budgets, assessment rolls, fiscal reports, notices of lien, subpoena and court actions, bonds/notes registers, zoning ordinances and maps. Maintains public signboard, advertises and receives bids for purchase of Town materials, files burial permits from cemeteries located within the Town.
- Recording Secretary: Authors minute books, the only official record of the activities of the Town government. The resulting volumes are retained permanently for legal and historic purposes.
- Historic Division Coordinator: Oversees projects relating to the conservation and preservation of the Town’s Historic collection.
- Provides Genealogical Research services upon written request with applicable fees. Applications & Forms page
- Marriage Officer: Performs marriages by appointment within the boundaries of the Town of Southampton.
- Special Event Administrator: A Special Events application form is required for any social occasion with more than 100 persons, including, but not limited to, carnivals, circuses, fairs, bazaars, outdoor shows, horse shows, exhibitions and concerts. With the adoption of the updated law, parades and events that require road closures no longer fill out a Special Event Application, but complete a separate Parade Permit Application. Special Events Permit Application. A Parade application form is required for events such as parades, runs, walks, marathons, biking events, etc. that take place on roadways within Southampton Town.
- Licensing Officer: Issues New York State licenses/permits, including marriage, dog, conservation (hunting and fishing), going out of business, games of chance, bingo and handicapped parking. Issues Town licenses/permits mandated by Local Law (e.g. transient merchants/peddlers, long term parking, shellfish, etc.)
- Licenses and Permits:
Bingo and Games of Chance License: Organizations must submit proof of registration (in the form of State ID #) with the New York Racing and Wagering Board. The premises where games will be conducted must also be licensed. The Town Bingo Inspector examines the events weekly.
Dog Licenses: All dogs over four months of age must be licensed. Dogs should be vaccinated against rabies before applying for license which expires one year from date of issuance. State Law requires immediate renewal forms be mailed to dog owners. NYS Dept. of Agriculture & Markets
Handicap Parking Permits: The individual must live in the Township and provide a written note from their doctor on letterhead along with their driver’s license. Handicap Parking Permit Application
Long Term Parking Permits: These are for two locations in Bridgehampton, behind the Candy Kitchen and the Railroad Station. Drivers License and Vehicle Registration are required. 2013 Resident fee is Bridehampton Parking District $75, Southampton Town Resident $125, Non-Resident $300. Long Term Parking Permit Application
Marriages: Both applicants must appear in person. Applicants must bring 2 forms of identification: a current driver's license or passport AND a certified birth certificate or baptismal certificate. Those under 18 years of age must be accompanied by parents. Visit the NYS Health Dept at http://www.health.state.ny.us/ for more information. Marriage License Application
Shellfish (Resident & Temporary) Permits: as of March 1, 2011 the issuance/sale of non-commercial shell fishing permits is being administered by the Office of the Trustees (631-287-5717).
Small or Big Game, Sportsman and Fishing Licenses: In compliance with State mandates the Town's Licenses are issued beginning in October and are effective until September. Different fees apply to various age groups. NYS Dept. Environmental Conservation