Ponquogue Beach Pavilion Redevelopment
Ponquogue Beach Pavilion Facility
Ponguogue Beach in Hampton Bays is one of the most popular beaches in the Hamptons with over 106,000 visitors each summer season. The Beach Pavilion, built in the late 1960’s, has weathered many storms and this extraordinarily high use quite well. However, as described by one community member, the facility is "in need of some love" and modernization. With both objectives in mind, the Town Board commissioned a firm to evaluate the facility, gather community input, recommend design changes, and develop cost estimates for their recommendations.
The renovation began in November, 2018. Built in 1966, the entire 3.9 acres site has been transformed into a modern, eco-friendly facility utilizing sustainable products, including an increase in natural lighting through sky-lights and harvesting rain-water for irrigation and restrooms.
In addition, the renovation includes a new roof, upgrades to exterior materials including Ipe decking and low maintenance, chemical free siding. The ramp to the beach has been extended and widened and the concession area has a new look with additional outdoor seating. The indoor and outdoor lighting has been replaced with LED fixtures. There are more outdoor showers and the renovated restrooms include changing areas. The parking lot has been upgraded with rain gardens and native plantings. The parking area surface has been recoated and restriped. And, the attendance booth and entrance have been replaced and modernized to improve appearance, accessibility and safety. The total renovation costs $3.35 million.
Below is chronology of the process with links to supporting information and documentation.
- 2019 – May 20 - Town officials cut the ribbon on the newly renovated Ponquogue Beach Facility, and opens to the public.
- 2018 - October 30 - Southampton Town Holds Groundbreaking for Renovation of Ponquogue Beach Facility
- 2018 - January 11 - Work Session II with Town Board & D&B Engineer
- 2017 - December 7 - Work Session I with Town Board & D&B Engineers
2017 – September 12 – Resolution #2017-818 Award and authorize Supervisor to sign contract with D & B Engineers and Architects, P.C. for final design services and preparation of construction bid documents
2017 – July 11 – Resolution #2017-647 Request for proposals for final design services and preparation of construction bid documents
2017 - June 5 – Final Conceptual Design Report (PDF)
- 2017 – May 18 - Work Session III with Town Board
- 2017 – February 16 - Work Session II with Town Board
- 2016 – November 15 - Community Workshop Meeting II
- 2016 – October 27 - Work Session I with Town Board
- 2016 – September 28 - Community Workshop Meeting I