Recent changes to the STAR program administered by New York State could have an impact on your 2019 Tax Bill. Southampton Town Sole Assessor Lisa R. Goree is advising taxpayers to be sure they have enrolled in the correct STAR program.
Due to recent changes in the law, beginning this year:
- The value of the STAR credit may increase as much as 2% each year, but the STAR exemption cannot increase; and
- The income limit for the Basic STAR exemption is now $250,000.00
Who must switch?
- If your income is more than $250,000.00 you must switch to the STAR credit to continue receiving your benefit. You will no longer have the exemption on your tax bill.
- If your income is $250,000.00 or less, you have the option to switch.
How to switch to the STAR credit
- Notify your assessor that you wish to withdraw your STAR exemption
- Contact the NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance at 518-457-2036 or www.tax.ny.gov/star.
If you have any questions regarding the STAR changes, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 631-283-6020.