Now’s your chance to become a lifeguard in the Town of Southampton.
Come work at one of our beautiful beaches and have fun in the sun while doing it. We offer a competitive intro salary and the option to enroll in the New York State Employees Retirement System (NYSER)
2020 Lifeguard TrainingCourses Include: Introduction and organization, injury prevention, rules and regulations, emergency planning, first aid, practical skills, and a written test. The surf course includes an additional 8 hours of training on special conditions of ocean lifeguarding. (Both these courses have been approved by the New York State Health Department as meeting the state’s guidelines for lifeguard training.)
Age: Anyone age 16 or over who wishes to work as a lifeguard. Above average swimming ability and physical condition required. Any individual who has not completed a state-approved lifeguard training program, as well as anyone whose previous certification has been expired for more than 12 months, must complete a full course in order to be certified to work as a lifeguard in Suffolk County.
Fee: Residents $200 Non-Residents $250
Place: Hampton Bays Community Center, 25 Ponquogue Ave, St. Joseph’s College pool, Suffolk Community College - Eastern Campus pool & Ponquogue Beach. Students will be given schedule at first class.
PLEASE NOTE: CPR training & testing must be completed in addition to either course. You must register separately for CPR and space is limited. We suggest you register for CPR when you register for lifeguard training.
2020 Lifeguard & CPR Training DatesSURF & NON SURF - PROGRAM 1
SURF - PROGRAM 1 (required additional training hours)
- May 14, Hampton Bays Community Center - 6:00 - 9:30 p.m.
- May 17, SCCC Pool - 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- May 21, St. Joseph’s Danzi Center - 6:00 - 9: 30 p.m.
- May 26, St. Joseph’s Danzi Center - 6:00 - 9: 30 p.m.
- May 31, SCCC Pool - 1:00 - 4: 00 p.m.
- June 2, Hampton Bays Community Center - 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Non Surf Test 1: Thursday, June 4, St. Joseph’s Danzi Center - 6:30 - 8: 00 p.m.
- Non Surf Test 2: Friday, June 5, SCCC Pool - 7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
SURF - PROGRAM 2 (EAST/WEST BEACHES)
- June 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, & 17, Ponquogue Beach - 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- June 18, Ponquogue Beach - 4:00 - 6: 00 p.m.
- Surf Test 1: Saturday, June 20, Ponquogue Beach - 8:00 a.m.
- Surf Test 2: Monday, June 29, Ponquogue Beach - 8:00 a.m.
ALL CLASSES/TEST ARE HELD RAIN OR SHINE
- July 2, Hampton Bays Community Center - 6:00 - 9:30 p.m.
- July 28, Hampton Bays Community Center - 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Additional dates, times and locations TBA
- Surf Test #1: Thursday, July 30, Ponquogue Beach - 8:00 a.m.
Lifeguard C.P.R. TrainingAs the Town recognizes the need for lifeguards other than our own to become C.P.R. certified at this time of year, a limited number of spaces will be made available in these courses to lifeguards who do not work for the Town of Southampton. Course includes training in the use of AEDs.Full CourseTime:
6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Must attend all three classes)Place:
Hampton Bays Community Center, 25 Ponquogue AvenueCourse 1:
May 11, 13 & 15Course 2:
May 18, 20 & 22Course 3:
July 6, 8 & 15Fees:
Residents $90 Non-Residents $110 (Includes book fee)Please Note:
You must have received your CPR certification through one of our CPR training courses in order to be eligible to renew your certification through one of our re-certification courses.Re-Certification CoursesTime:
6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (All Classes)Place:
Hampton Bays Community Center, 25 Ponquogue AvenueFee:
Residents $40 Non-Residents $60
** Note Course 1 & 2 need 9+ years to enroll, Course 5 & 8 need 6+ years, Course 6 need 3 or less years. Course 3, 4, 7 & 9 open to all.**Apply for Lifeguard Positions
- Session 1: Wednesday, April 22
- Session 2: Monday, April 27
- Session 3: Wednesday, May 6
- Session 4: Wednesday, June 3
- Session 5: Monday, June 8
- Session 6: Monday, June 15
- Session 7: Wednesday, June 17
- Session 8: Wednesday, June 24
- Session 9: Friday, June 26
- Session 10: Monday, July 13