Water Safety/Swim Instruction – Tiana Bayside
These programs are designed to develop swimming skills needed to safely enjoy our area’s largest natural resource. Participants will be tested at the beginning of the program to determine their individual ability and level. The American Red Cross defines the levels as described below:
- Level 1: is an introduction to water skills. Helping students feel comfortable and enjoy the water. Intended for ages 3 - 6 years old.
- Level 2: covers fundamental aquatic skills and helps students succeed in these skills. Must be at least 7 years old.
- Level 3: covers stroke development building on skills from Level 2 with guided practice. Introduction to the butterfly stroke, front and back crawl.
- Level 4: covers stroke development by building confidence in strokes previously learned. Introduction to side and breast stroke.
- Level 5: covers further refinement of strokes. Intro to shallow diving and survival swimming.
- Level 6: covers swimming and skill proficiency with these options:
- Personal water safety - emphasis on stroke development and survival swimming.
- Lifeguard readiness - emphasis on stroke development and basic rescue skills.
- Fitness swimmer - emphasis on stroke development and creating a training program.
Guppy 10:00 – 10:45 AM (5 classes)
Session 1: Monday 7/12 – Friday 7/16 Session 4: Monday 8/2 – Friday 8/6
Session 2: Monday 7/19 – Friday 7/23 Session 5: Monday 8/9 – Friday 8/13
Session 3: Monday 7/26 – Friday 7/30 Session 6: Monday 8/16 – Friday 8/20
Ages: 3-4, Fee: $25.00 – RESIDENTS ONLY
Please Note: 3-year-olds must be able to work in a small group with an instructor and without a parent in the water. If a child is not able to do this, the instructor may request that the child wait another year to begin swimming lessons.
Guppy 11:00 – 11:45 AM (5 classes)
Session 7: Monday 7/12 – Friday 7/16 Session 10: Monday 8/2 – Friday 8/6
Session 8: Monday 7/19 – Friday 7/23 Session 11: Monday 8/9 – Friday 8/13
Session 9: Monday 7/26 – Friday 7/30 Session 12: Monday 8/16 – Friday 8/20
Ages: 5-6, Fee: $25.00 – RESIDENTS ONLY
The Guppy class is an introduction to the water designed to prepare children ages 3 - 6 for Level 2 Basic Beginner Swim lessons. The goal of the Guppy course is to help participants feel comfortable in the water and to overcome any fear that they may have of the water. Participants will be taught the basic skills required to begin swimming instruction; such as putting their face and head in the water, blowing bubbles, using kickboards, the prone and back-float. Participants must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Each child may register for only (1) Guppy Class but can request to be placed on a wait list for additional classes. Please bring a towel, wear comfortable clothing and bathing attire. Water shoes optional. Town of Southampton Beach Parking Permit required
Level Instruction 2-6, 12:00 – 1:00 PM (2 Weeks, 10 classes)
Session 1: Monday 7/12 – Friday 7/23
Session 3: Monday 7/26 – Friday 8/6
Session 3: Monday 8/9 – Friday 8/20
Ages: 7-14, Fee: $75.00 – RESIDENTS ONLY
Participants will be tested at the beginning of the program to determine their individual ability and level.
Please bring a towel, wear comfortable clothing and proper bathing attire. Water shoes suggested.
Town of Southampton Beach Parking Permit required
Weather conditions and/or program cancellation information for the Tiana Bay programs may be obtained by calling the Parks and Recreation Department at 631-728-8585 after 8:30AM. There will be NO refunds or make-up sessions for classes cancelled due to poor weather conditions.