Am I allowed to burn a fire in a barrel in my yard?
No. Open burning is severely restricted by local and New York State codes. The Town’s Department of Parks and Recreation does allow for limited use of fire with a valid facility use permit. Click here to download permit application SH-PR-004. Failing to comply with restrictions may result in the issuance of summonses.

In some instances, a bon fire permit may be issued. Call 631-702-2919 during normal business hours for more information or download a bonfire permit application.

Show All Answers

1. I had a fire in my home, how can I get a copy of the fire report?
2. Why do the fire marshals perform business inspections?
3. What are some of the things the fire marshal looks for when inspecting a business?
4. If the Fire Marshal finds violations, do I get a warning or a summons?
5. What should I do if I receive a Notice of Violation?
6. How do I report a violation?
7. Can I make an anonymous complaint?
8. What happens after I make my complaint to the Fire Marshal?
9. How do I obtain copies of violations on a piece of property?
10. Do I have to renew operating permits every year?
11. Am I allowed to burn a fire in a barrel in my yard?
12. How do I apply for a tent permit?
13. I am having a party/event. Where can people park?
14. Do I need permit for my party, wedding, or special event?