What is the process for the town to acquire easements?
  1. Survey:  Surveyors will be hired by the Town to undertake surveying work, including but not limited to preparing surveys, determining metes and bounds of the dune easement within each parcel, and other documentation needed so the Town can complete appraisals and easement acquisitions in order to establish the dune and berm construction. 
  2. Appraisal:  Appraisers will be hired by the Town that are certified general appraisers and their qualifications will be pre-approved by USACE.  Appraisals will be prepared to federal appraisal standards and subject to review and acceptance by USACE.  The appraisals must be prepared in accordance with “Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisitions” and “Uniform Standards for Professional Appraisal Practice” (USPAP).  The appraisal will determine the current fair market value for acquisition of easements. Property owners will be invited to accompany the appraisers during their property inspections.
  3. Offer Letter:  The fair market value of a property will be determined by the appraisal.  Once the appraisal is complete, the Town will mail an Offer Letter to the property owner offering the appraisal value for the property.
  4. Easement Documents (Voluntary):  If the value of the appraisal is agreed to by the Town and the Owner, the Town will complete an examination of title and prepare the Easement documents.  The Town will work with the property owner to address any title issues and will prepare all Easement documents. After the Easement is recorded at the Office of the County Clerk, the landowners will be paid any agreed upon compensation.
  5. Agree on Value:  The Town will make every effort to acquire real property by mutual agreement to value. If an agreement is reached, a contract will be executed and a sit down or mail closing will be conducted at which time the landowner will be paid the appraised value of the property.  The easement or deed will be recorded at the Office of the County Clerk. 
  6.  Failure to Agree on Value:  If agreement cannot be reached, the Town is required to begin judicial proceedings to acquire the easement by eminent domain, in accordance with the New York State Eminent Domain Procedure Law.  A map and legal description will be filed at the Office of the County Clerk and title will vest in the Town upon recording.  If the property owner files a claim for greater compensation within the time provided in the Court order vesting title to the easement; just compensation will be determined in New York State Supreme Court.

Show All Answers

1. What is the FIMP project?
2. What is an engineered beach and dune system?
3. Will the geo-cubes/geo-tubes on the eastern border of Quogue be removed by USACE?
4. If sand has accreted above the dune design elevation, will the Corps still add more sand on the dune?
5. Why does USACE need to access to my property?
6. How were the required access areas determined?
7. What is the easement needed for USACE to construct and maintain the project?
8. What are the key provisions of the perpetual easement?
9. Can structures be relocated?
10. What is the process for the town to acquire easements?
11. What is the schedule for easements, acquisitions and construction?
12. Who can we contact if we have more questions?